This summary includes links to recommended resources.
When is the best time to trek Kanchenjunga?
The best months for Trekking in Kanchenjunga are September to November and March to May. For more details see when to trek Kanchenjunga.
What permits do I need?
In order to trek Kanchenjunga you need to obtain two separate permits.
The first, is special restricted area entry permit for which costs $10 US per person per week.
The second is a Kanchenjunga Conservation Area Project entry permit, which costs $20 US per person.
Can I trek by myself?
The Nepalese Government states that you must have a minimum of two trekkers in a trekking group who are accompanied by an authorized trekking company and the guide.
You do not require a TIMS card.
What do I need to take with me?
- Travel Insurance that covers both medical expenses and emergency evacuation for the elevations you will be trekking at.
- A guidebook for the Kanchenjunga Trek.
- A trekking map.
- A good sleeping bag that is rated to minus 20 C.
- A good down Jacket.
- Polarized sunglasses.
- A good headlamp with spare batteries
- A good sunscreen.
- A good sunhat.
- Trekking poles.
- A good hand sanitizer.
- A good first aid kit.
Can I find my own guide?
There are a lot of freelance trekking guides in Nepal. However, only registered companies can apply for the special permits required so it is better to use registered companies that at familiar with the permit application process.
What’s the best way to stay healthy on the trek?
- Drink adequate safe water.
- Keep your hands clean all the times.
- Trek high sleep low.
- Tell your trekking guide how you are feeling everyday, especially at higher altitudes.
- Also know more about Acute Mountain Sickness.